Science Is King

Science dictates lives: what you do, where you live, who you marry. It takes care of you, covers your bills, keeps you healthy, and all it asks in return is that you participate in a few experiments. Ridgeway has always been a control group, left mostly alone, but the Department of Science has been moving in, and everything is about to change.

Single
07 M
05 F
Teenagers
03 M
05 F
Partnered
48 M
48 F
Excellent
09 M
15 F
High
25 M
22 F
Neutral
18 M
16 F
Low
04 M
04 F
Poor
01 M
00 F

REPLY NEW TOPIC

let's get to work, windjester // matthew
Anastasia Mikhailov
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 08:38 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 20

Posts // 50

Merit // Excellent

Alias // Sunny

Occupation // Architecture Student

Partner // Lindsay Heavens

Mini Quote

lights gone out but have no fear, you're closer now than stars appear.

GMT +1 + She/Her

She looked down at her watch in panic while hurrying through the streets of Ridgeway, hoping she wouldn't be too late. It wasn't her virtue - as someone who has been brought up carefully and with most effort, she was always early or right on time. But this time, it so happened that she was late just that day, and she'd despised herself a bit for that. It was a strange morning; she woke up feeling rested, but already a bit nervous. Since, as she was a student, she was obliged to take up some internships and get some hours of real work in - and as she met Matthew - Mr. Roquefort-Miller, she quickly reminded herself - at the snow ball just two weeks ago, she had a perfect opportunity to do just that. As they already talked about science at the ball, and he was so generous to offer to provide her with some experience, he sounded delighted when she phoned him a few days later and was more than happy to offer her an internship. And now she was more than panicked that she'd screw it up somehow - by being late.

Dressing in the morning was a pain - she usually had no bigger problem with that, but today she did. She couldn't decide what to wear, how to make herself look as professional as she could. He had only seen her in a dress and she made no plan to ruin the first impression. And it took at least half an hour for her to pick out the coat, and she mentally cursed herself for deciding on black as she hurried - she was aware that she looked much better in brighter colors, but in the morning it seemed just right for her. Not anymore. After finally picking out the coat, she stuffed all the things she needed in her purse - like a notebook and some pens - and hurried out of her apartment, seeing she was already behind on her schedule. At least she didn't forget anything and looked tidy, just like she wanted to. The thing was, even though she was usually calm, brought together and composed, the past few days have been taking a toll on her - receiving her partnership notice, then exams, and now this internship ... She was worried out of her mind all the time and unsure of herself, more than she was ever before.

As she finally found his office, she let out a big sigh, trying to calm herself down as she entered. She found him at the desk, working, tidy and well-dressed as the last time she saw him. "Good morning," she exhaled, trying to sound as polite as she possibly could. "I am so sorry for being late, my alarm clock seemed to stop working this morning," she blurted out, stopping in her tracks and gave him her most guilty-feeling look - not that she'd used it a lot in her nineteen years, but it did come in handy at those rare occasions.

Matthew Roquefort-Miller
    Outfit
PM
^
Matthew Roquefort-Miller
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 11:36 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 32

Posts // 78

Merit // Excellent

Alias // WindJester

Occupation // Head Geneticist, Department of Science

Partner // Elizabeth Windsor

Mini Quote

He who always plays for power will often stand on the neck of one person to reach his arms around the neck of another.

GMT +1 + He/him/his

This year’s Snow Ball had been a strange experience to be sure. He had encountered a favored acquaintance in unexpected company, he had connected with the young heiress of yet another prominent family, and he had witnessed the probably weirdest display of absurdity to date. Very much a mixed bag. He had been content to confirm that his wife had been on, for her standards at the very least, on good behavior. There was definitely still room for improvement, but things could have gone a lot worse. She had, expectedly, gotten some sketchy attention for her attire, but nothing reputation-ruining.

He had been unsure what exactly to expect in the days following. He had had a fairly enjoyable evening overall, and he felt that things had gone overall positive regarding his new consociate. So, he had been not necessarily surprised, but definitely pleased, when he heard from her. He was certainly not done with her yet, and it appeared to be a shared sentiment.

Anastasia had evidently decided to take him up on his offer to get her a little taste of the ‘real world’, and he was happy to oblige. He definitely had enough work to do to warrant taking her on, and he felt like she would have a lot to offer - both personally and professionally. She might not be a science-major, but time in the Department of Science could benefit anyone, and most of what she would be doing she would easily pick up in time, he was sure.

Matthew was eager to meet her again and get her settled in, expecting a mutually fruitful collaboration. He kept a running eye on the clock while working, mostly subconsciously as he often did when he was expecting something. As it would turn out, the appointed time came along, and she did not. He let out a sigh, hoping she had not changed her mind or forgotten. That would have been quite the disappointment. He decided to give her the benefit of the doubt though and give it a little bit longer. She was probably just running late.

”Good morning,” he said with his usual calm demeanor. Matthew had never been one for bursts of anger, taking more after the stoic nature inherent in the Roquefort-traditions. ”Well, you’re here now,” he said, offering a scanty smile. ”Though it would be appreciated if you generally try to be on time. Otherwise it reflects poorly on us all.”

Matthew was not upset as such, only somewhat discontented. He was sure it was an isolated incident though and it would not repeat itself. Some might argue that she was young; it was a time to make mistakes and find yourself. Matthew was not those people. Being young, if anything, just presented you with more opportunities and advantages. There was literally no way to go but up. Plenty of chance to prove yourself. In high school, you had to show you had a place in this world, now was a time to prove that they were right to put you there, or that you deserve a better placement.

PM EMAIL
^
Anastasia Mikhailov
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 12:21 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 20

Posts // 50

Merit // Excellent

Alias // Sunny

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + She/Her

The look on his face didn't seem to tell her much - she was relieved that he didn't seem angry that she was late, but he also didn't seem, well, to be very pleased that she finally arrived. She quietly wondered if she has possibly made a huge mistake and if he'll look down on her after this, or if he'll brush it off - she would definitely feel more at peace and better about herself if he wouldn't put much value to it.

"It won't happen again," she assured him while a small smile formed on her lips - she was relieved that her 'little' mistake didn't make much of a difference in his attitude. At the ball, he seemed very nice, lovely kind of guy, well-mannered, calm, and well, it was obvious that he was brought up in the same manner as she was, in a big family with a good reputation who always aimed for the stars, to improve themselves and their place in society - and she could definitely see some resemblance between them. She was pleased that he didn't lash out at her - but, after all, when she thought about it, that wouldn't be something she would likely do - and if he was as alike to her as she thought he was, she doubted he would either.

I really have to stop worrying so much about everything, she thought to herself as she took off her black coat, slowly folding it together so she could put it over the available chair. If she thought about it, it was no wonder she was running late - it wasn't a thing she usually, or, well, ever did, and she felt disappointed that she'd let this go so far. There were too many things playing out in her head at the same time - first off, the partnership notice she received a few days ago, the envelope that had been laid on her desk and picked up quite frequently - after all, she was unsure of what to think, she was scared, almost terrified of her future that was slowly but surely hunting her. And then there was school, and so many errands, so many exams where she had to do her best on, all of the late nights that she spent studying ... But she shouldn't have left herself wander so far off. Not with all of this - she was raised to be presentable, composed, encouraging, always optimistic, but absolutely not carried away and worried out of her mind all the time. She had to keep up the good reputation of her family and it was not in her place to be distraught. She exhaled slowly, lifting her eyes back at him, glad she took a moment to herself and cleared some thoughts out, pulling herself back together.

"What would you like me to start off with?" She asked as her eyes skimmed through all thee papers on his desk, anticipating the things she will learn in the next few days of her (long waited) internship. She knew he'd make a great contribution to both her knowledge and experience, and after a few very stressed days, she was glad she was finally here.

Matthew Roquefort-Miller
PM
^
Matthew Roquefort-Miller
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 03:17 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 32

Posts // 78

Merit // Excellent

Alias // WindJester

Mini Quote

He who always plays for power will often stand on the neck of one person to reach his arms around the neck of another.

GMT +1 + He/him/his

”I’m sure it won’t,” he said, flashing her a reassuring smile to let her know he would not hold it against her. It was an unfortunate way to start things off, no doubt, but berating her needlessly the moment she stepped in would not make it less so. He trusted she would know to perform her best and be reliable in the future. Otherwise he could always hold her accountable at that time, should it come.

”It’s good to see you again. Glad you decided to reach out.” This was true. He expected having her around would both improve the office atmosphere and likely present further personal opportunities. And having her initiate contact saved him having to do so down the road. She was also a great candidate. Her academic record so far bore plenty of witness to her skills and dedication, things he was looking forward to putting to good use.

”I think we’ll start by getting you settled in, maybe start you off with some light tasks, let you get comfortable with the flow of work around here. How familiar are you with the place?” A general sense of the locales would probably go a long way, since it would likely play into at least some of the work she would be doing. Though if she was unfamiliar with the area that would likely be rectified organically before long. Things such as finding your way around and meeting and getting to know the people she might interact would likely come naturally, he assumed. It usually did. Besides, once you got the hang of it, it was not so bad.

”Some things you’ll do will be somewhat standard, but a fair bit might be kind of ad hoc,” he explained. ”Don’t worry though, I won’t toss you into anything I’m not comfortable you can do.” He offered up a friendly smile, wanting her to feel comfortable and welcome. There was no need to scare her off on the first day, and to throw her into the deep end with things she was unlikely to handle was just a waste of resources and benefited no-one. ”Are there any types of jobs in particular you’re interested in?” After all, it was a give-and-take thing. They naturally had expectations of her, but it was only fair for her to expect something in return. Obviously, it was unable avoidable that some tasks were more or less set in stone, but Matthew had found that some degree of flexibility was often advantageous to both parties. After all, part of the advantage of bringing in someone like her was she could provide a second perspective and bring to the table some different outlooks and skillsets. Other than ensuring she had the best possible output from the internship, knowing her preferences might also present a peek into how to best utilize her.

PM EMAIL
^
Anastasia Mikhailov
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 11:02 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 20

Posts // 50

Merit // Excellent

Alias // Sunny

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + She/Her

"Of course," she offered a slight smile, glad that he let it pass without much talking - she was confident that she'll never let it happen again, not in this internship, not ever - even if it meant that she'll have to get her alarm clock to ring 15 minutes earlier every morning than it used to.

"Me too," she exclaimed. "I hope it's not much of an inconvenience for you to take me under your wing," she winked, not much in a flirty way, but more to show how grateful she was for the opportunity she got - after all, not most of her classmates got a chance to be taken in for an internship in the government offices, especially not by someone who just happened to be the head geneticist at the Department of science. She knew that a lot of them looked at her with envy after grasping that fact, but she was used to always being one step ahead of everyone else - not everyone came from a more prestigious family, a family with reputation, where all doors would be unlocked for them just because of the family name. When she was younger, she used to be quite ashamed of that, the fact that not everyone seemed to grow up in such a safe, protective, loving environment as she did, but more that she grew up, the more she understood that it was not all just because she was a Mikhailov - she worked hard for her grades, topping her class in all her years of high school, having a 3.8 GPA ever since she started college, attending all kinds of events, volunteering and just being a good person in general - she never slacked off and she was, by now, certain that she deserved what she got. And if it was an exclusive internship, she was all in for it.

"Rather well, actually," she answered, settling her hands in front of her, knowing it made her seem decisive and confident. "I've worked an internship in Ridgeway already, and it required some going around, so I'm quite certain it shouldn't be much of a problem, it was all truth - although the previous internship was quite short and only lasted a week, she got acknowledged with the town quite well and by now she seemed to find her way even through the smaller streets that were only used by locals - the ones she struggled with at the beginning.

She nodded, closely listening to his words, glad that he decided to take it slow and not pressure her into something she wasn't exactly familiar with - although she usually didn't have much of a problem with adapting to new situations, this was an advantage to her. "I'm quite flexible, but I'd be more than willing if you have any projects involving physics or biology - those are the fields I'm more interested in, she smiled. "But I'll be happy to do any task you think will benefit me and my studies - after all, you're the one here with an extensive amount of knowledge and I trust you to make smart choices." She exclaimed, not only for the purpose of flattering him a bit, but to show that she trusted him to make the right choices.

Matthew Roquefort-Miller
PM
^
Matthew Roquefort-Miller
 Posted: Feb 20 2018, 12:30 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 32

Posts // 78

Merit // Excellent

Alias // WindJester

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + He/him/his

She was aware of her mistake, she was clearly regretful, and she had assured him it would not be repeated. No use in continuing to dwell on it then. He had no reason not to believe her, and frankly he preferred to spend his time on more productive things than obsessing over details.

”No inconvenience at all,” he said encouragingly, his voice as genuine as the words he spoke. ”It’s my pleasure, really! I needed someone anyway, and you were by far the best candidate.” It was a great opportunity for them both. He knew from experience that getting some practical exercise and getting to put yourself to use in a real-world context was often some of the best times of your studies and provided many advantages both in relation to your studies and afterwards. If he could give her that, while getting something in return at the same time, that was a perfect arrangement as far as he was concerned.

Obviously, her family was not irrelevant in his choosing her for the internship. After all, they had in large part been why he had walked up to her that evening at all. Of course, he had not told her that. He could simply see no reason to do so. Still, that had not been it. She was qualified. He would not have risked his job taking in someone entirely useless just to sate is personal ambitions. After all, what good would those ambitions be if he lost his career, getting demoted to who knew what? She had a good record, and they got along well at the Snow Ball, and it was important they would function personally as well, otherwise it might negatively impact their working relationship. Of course, that had been a different occasion entirely, and they would have to keep a somewhat professional rapport around the office.

He nodded in content as she let him know she could find her way around without problems. That was good. Less for her to worry about in the beginning.

”That’s good,” he said, happy that she was amenable and would not give up a struggle when assigned work. Of course, that would have been a very unfortunate trait and one that might have made it rather difficult to justify keeping her on. ”I’ll see what I can do about finding you some work within those areas.” It should not be too hard. He did work for the Department of Science, after all, and many of those types of projects would fall under his division or those he worked closely with regularly. Either way, he should have no problem finding some work for her that would lighten his own and the team’s load while providing her with some invaluable experience.

A slight chuckle escaped him with her last comment. Now that was quite the compliment. He knew it was true, and he knew it was likely not meant in a suck-up kind of way - that was better left for a time she might need it, anyway, but the tone and choice of word just got him. ”Well, aren’t you quite the eloquent diplomat?” he said teasingly, offering her a consoling smile, to show her it was not meant to any kind of offense. ”With our shared judgment, I’m sure we’ll be just fine!”

Anastasia Mikhailov
PM EMAIL
^
Anastasia Mikhailov
 Posted: Feb 26 2018, 10:32 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 20

Posts // 50

Merit // Excellent

Alias // Sunny

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + She/Her

"That's good to hear," she laughed, meaning it when she said it; she loved the feeling of accomplishment. Especially when receiving the compliment from someone that was far more accomplished in his field, like he was, the Head of the office, the boss, the one in charge of the Genetics Department - it was quite a high position and most probably required quite an effort to get there.

She wasn't expecting him to give her so much credit, but she felt as she could bathe in his praise; to him, it was just a few words to say, while they meant even a bit too much to her - through all her life, since elementary school, she reached for the stars, always looking for ways to accomplish herself, to do something particularly well, always doing extra projects, extra homework, staying up later every evening just to finish all her work, all the things she put on her shoulders that, on more than one occasion, made her feel drained of energy, but she kept and kept trying. But it paid off more than she expected it would, and now she was here and prouder than ever - it was not anyone else that was standing here, with an internship in this position, it was her, and her only. And this was one of the moments she actually let herself breathe for a second and let herself feel independent, confident in her own way. She was no longer surrounded by her parents and a bunch of relatives that would smother her, and she could do exceptionally well without them too.

"Great, thank you," she answered to his words about him trying to find her something to do in her preferred fields - it wasn't that she didn't do well in any other field - she did amazing in pretty much all the areas she tried out - but biology was one of those that she was more or less interested in, as she didn't have nearly as many classes on biology as she'd like to. After all, she was an architecture major, and most of her classes included theory, 3D drawing, engineering, and maths - but biology was something that fascinated her quite a lot in high school and she felt like she was in the right place to learn more new things. And physics were a common class in her schedule, and even though she did well at it like she did in all her other classes, she didn't like it as much, always searching for different aspects of it so it could keep her interest for a bit longer. Once she'll be done with college and on her way to a proper job, she'll have to deal with it even more than now.

"Always," she winked in response. She knew her way around with words, and she knew how to make someone feel good about themselves, and most definitely she knew how to compliment someone, even if it was in a most subtle and professional way. It was one of the skills that helped her make her way through life with quite an ease - not that she wasn't a very polite person anyways, but that bit of charm just made it easier for her to get away with something or help her get something she wanted.

"Of course we will," she grinned at him, crossing her hands and waiting to hear what he got in store for her next.

Matthew Roquefort-Miller
PM
^
Matthew Roquefort-Miller
 Posted: Apr 2 2018, 05:18 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 32

Posts // 78

Merit // Excellent

Alias // WindJester

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + He/him/his

Matthew was not particularly surprised that the compliment had been well-received. After all, she did seem somewhat ambitious from their brief preliminary interactions and her school transcripts, and when you did well and worked hard it was nice to get some recognition, whether that was the primary goal or not. And knowing from himself how much recognition and prestige could mean, how big a part it could play in motivations, he was almost expecting it; on the other hand, he had somewhat more trouble understanding those less inclined towards ambition and drive, those who couldn’t care less about succeeding and building a solid reputation. Those people, to him at least, were just too strange and insignificant to really bother with.

She might have preferred an internship closer to her major field of study, but they were not always so easy to come by, so maybe she just hadn’t had much luck in getting one of those; that was when personal contacts really came in handy, something Matthew had learned many years ago and still regularly made use of to this day. It was noteworthy how one night and a string of random encounters could change so much. Had he not been at the dance-floor that night, Anastasia might not have had an internship today, Matthew would not have had an opportunity to widen his circle, and he would not have been accosted by that crude, gawky guy Mary had brought along or witnessed that bizarre display of… whatever it had been, toward the end. Yes, one event could make no difference whatsoever or seemingly change your whole world. Even if an internship in this field had not been Anastasia’s first choice though, having anything was better than nothing - and if nothing else then a good way to take care of some of those mandatory science credits. And a lot of Matthew’s best times and most inspiring work had been during internships or his doctorate research, so he figured there was probably a good chance she would get something good out of her time there either way.

”No problem. I find that people work more effectively if they care about the subjects anyway, so win-win,” he replied with a light smirk. It was true, contentment could be a powerful driving-force, and resentment towards your work could certainly have a potent adverse effect.

Her excitement and confidence were uplifting, and it was hard not to let it rub off just a little. She sort of reminded him of a younger version of himself, which had definitely been a part of what had attracted him to her in the first place, even if it had mostly been subconscious. It was likely also what interchangeably frustrated and tugged at him; all at once both drawing him in and getting his blood boiling whenever she seemed just a bit too entitled or privileged. It was probably not a far cry from how a lot of people had felt about Matthew over the years, but of course this had never even for a second crossed his mind.

”There’s no dedicated training segment to this thing, so you won’t have to make time for that - the training will pretty much be of the ‘on-the-job’ persuasion. You will get a brief intro to lab conduct before you get any assignments near the labs - mandatory security thing, nothing to worry about though. If you ever have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask. The rest of the staff will be at your disposal too, obviously, just as you’re also expected to help out wherever it might be required. But I’m not expecting that to be an issue?”

PM EMAIL
^
Anastasia Mikhailov
 Posted: May 1 2018, 11:32 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 20

Posts // 50

Merit // Excellent

Alias // Sunny

Mini Quote

GMT +1 + She/Her

She smiled at his remark while nodding, finding it completely true - although she had no problem actively working in fields that were not so close to her or didn't interest her as much, she found it to be true. But after years of education, bonus hours and extra tutors so she could always be at least one step ahead of everyone, she learned to suck it up and just do whatever she was told to do - after all, how else could she please everyone? Although her parents spoiled her greatly and made her the love of their lives, they were hard on her on more than several occasions, and while the other children got to play outside, and when other teenagers got the chance to start partying a little bit, to include themselves in the community, she was usually the one staying home and going through piles of books that never seemed to end, and the one who would attend only private events, and even then with the assigned partner that her parents picked. It was always about her and her success and she wasn't the one to let anyone down.

"There won't be any issues at all," she smiled in reply. "I have worked in a lab for quite a few times, including in my high school years as now in college," she added, even though it was all down on the cv she sent him after she phoned him about the internship. It was all there - all her accomplishments through the years, all the extra curriculums she took part in when she was in high school - which rounded up to at least 5 a year and were a struggle to keep up to sometimes, but got her to where she was now - and, of course, all the projects and internships she has participated in during these short months since she started college in Washington. And, to be honest, there were a lot - she took part as a tutor to help those who had trouble with any classes - she even tutored some high schoolers from Ridgeway - and then there were a number of projects and assignments she completed and excelled at. Her professors at college were quite astonished at her set of experiences and skills, and the internship with Matthew will be just another golden point on her resume.

She decided to loosen up the subtle tension she somehow still felt in the room, maybe because of her being late, or maybe just because she was a new addition and maybe Matthew didn't exactly know what to do with her yet. "At your service," she laughed, lightly saluting - a little bit of humor never hurt anyone.
Matthew Roquefort-Miller
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC

Our Button

test

Resource Sites:

Candyland CoutureShadowplayRockin Roleplay

AFFILIATES

HG

test