Science Is King

Science dictates lives: what you do, where you live, who you marry. It takes care of you, covers your bills, keeps you healthy, and all it asks in return is that you participate in a few experiments. Ridgeway has always been a control group, left mostly alone, but the Department of Science has been moving in, and everything is about to change.

Single
07 M
05 F
Teenagers
03 M
05 F
Partnered
48 M
48 F
Excellent
09 M
15 F
High
25 M
22 F
Neutral
18 M
16 F
Low
04 M
04 F
Poor
01 M
00 F

REPLY NEW TOPIC

Brother Dearest, Taylor
Ryan Heavens
 Posted: Feb 7 2018, 07:43 PM

Age // 20

Posts // 17

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Des

Occupation // Fashion Journalist/Blogger

Partner // Jack Wright

Mini Quote

She's a lady and ladies shouldn't be messed with

EST + she/her

Ryan was in, for lack of a better word, a bit of a panic. She had set aside the letter of Partnership and hadn't touched it for about three days. Sure it was a bit of an overreaction, but in shock at who she was partnered with. It wasn't that they were unattractive, which was definitely not the case. She had taken in her future husband's birth date and the small photograph of what looked to be a child. Nine years. They were nine years apart. Ryan wasn't sure how to process this information. He also had a child, a daughter. Ryan was still young, just barely out of high school and currently taking college classes. This man had a prominent career and a daughter. Running a hand through her short, blonde hair, Ryan began to pace. She had been pacing for some time, trying to keep her mind off of it and focus on something else. Part of her told her she had to contact him, there was no avoiding it. But logic wasn't always her strongest suit when she felt pinpricks of anxiety attacking the far reaches of her brain.

What better way to process emotions, than to talk them out. Ryan had several siblings, both biological and half-siblings. Her first instinct had been to contact them and hopefully they'd leaned an open ear to her troubles. With a steel resolve, she quickly dressed for the day, pulling on her coat and grabbing her bag. Her older brother didn't live far and she could easily walk there. It was a rather chilly day, but not unbearable. She walked as fast as she could over the slightly slick concrete, down the street towards Round Lake Heights. With a bounce in her step, she approached the door. She wasn't entirely sure if Taylor was even home, but she had been in such a panic she forgot that she could have just texted him first. Huffing out a breath, a puff of steam coiling in the air around her, she knocked rapidly on the door before stepping back. Tucking her hands into her coat pockets, she rocked back and forth on her heels, waiting for an answer. She hoped he was home, she had so much to talk about that she didn't feel like explaining over a phone.

Outfit!
Taylor Heavens
PM
^
Taylor Heavens
 Posted: Feb 22 2018, 07:08 PM

Age // 22

Posts // 28

Merit // Low

Alias // Emilie

Occupation // Seasonal labrorer

Partner // Brooklyn Pappas

Mini Quote

Why should I worry? Why should I care? I may not have a dime but I got street savoire fair.

PHX + She/her

Taylor very rarely panicked about anything. Perhaps he was laid back to an excessive degree, to the point that things he should've panicked about didn't faze him in the least. For example, when he'd been partnered and his wife had been a couple of years older with a toddler. However, it also wasn't as if he could actually do anything about it. He couldn't just not show up, at least not without getting arrested eventually. Why worry about it then? It wouldn't make him any more prepared for life as a step-father or a husband. It had turned out alright, anyway. He and Sylvia got along and he adored Benjamin, and Benjamin adored him too. Kids were kind of fun, it turned out.

Which is exactly what Taylor would tell Ryan if he knew how bad she was freaking out about her impending partnership. So really, he was either the best or the worst person for her to talk to about the whole situation. He was between jobs at that moment, so he was home most of the time, unless he was hanging out at Evan's or now Stuart's. Occasionally he hung around the Heavens family home, but that was more rare. He loved all his younger siblings, but it was still a little too crowded for his tastes. He wasn't private or secretive about anything (with the exception of his sexuality, mostly), but it was nice to not be tripping over each other.

That didn't mean he wasn't excited to see Ryan when she turned up on his doorstep, though. His brow had furrowed in confusion when he heard someone pounding on the door. He left Benjamin by himself at the kitchen table, where he was sitting wearing one of Taylor's old t-shirts as a smock playing with finger paints. The expression quickly cleared when he opened the door. "Ry! Hi!" He gently tugged her inside and wrapped her in a giant bear hug. "Come on in! We're painting." He gestured to the table. "You wanna join in?"

Ryan Heavens
PM EMAIL
^
Ryan Heavens
 Posted: Apr 5 2018, 10:20 AM

Age // 20

Posts // 17

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Des

Partner // Jack Wright

Mini Quote

EST + she/her

Ryan’s breath left her in small, silvery puffs as she waited outside the door. In the time it took to wait, her nerves wavered just a little. But the moment the door opened, they sprung back up again. The sight of her brother’s smile and happy greeting only took some of the edge off. The inside of the house seemed lively and she hoped she hadn’t intruded on something important. She smiled and returned the hug with just as much fervor, happy to see her brother after some time apart. He had been partnered before her, just like Evan. They had their lives started with someone new and here she was about to do the same, only to be struck with a serious bout of nerves.

”Taylor, thank goodness you’re home. I have so much to tell you, I hope you don’t mind the sudden intrusion. I didn’t know what else to do. It’s too much to discuss over the phone.” she spoke rapidly, allowing herself to be directed into the house. She carefully toed off her boots at the door, feeling grateful for the warmth of the house. She pulled off her coat and hung it nearby, out of the way. Running a hand through her short, blonde hair, she finally let herself relax. Her brother had mentioned painting and she lit up. She had always enjoyed arts and crafts. It at least ran in the female side of the family. ”Oh painting, how fun!” she replied as she entered the room where a little boy sat surrounded by paints.

It was that moment that she was reminded of her own predicament. Her blue eyes widened and a sound akin to a mouse whose tail had been stepped on left her mouth. She was going to be a stepmother. She blinked back to reality, giving the little boy a somewhat polite smile. Children were new territory for her. Granted she grew up with young children, her youngest siblings were nine and five. But the notion of herself being a mother at only nineteen was terrifying to her. Gripped by the sudden realization, she reached out and grabbed for Taylor’s sleeve. She was sure her face resembled more of someone who had been marked for death, than someone about to be married. She turned to her brother with wide, nervous eyes.

”Taylor, I’m about to be married and he has a child. A little girl that I’m going to be responsible for. I’m barely an adult, Taylor! Not to mention he’s nine years older than me. What am I going to do?” the words spewed forth before she had a chance to catch herself. The nerves that had been bubbling inside, came to a crest like a volcano about to erupt. ”This man has his life sorted out and I’m still in college. What if his daughter hates me? What if we don’t get along? Taylor help me, I feel like the ground is gonna open up any minute and swallow me hole. Tell me I’m not crazy.” she rambled on, wringing her hands as she tried to speak softly as to not alarm the little boy she is just meeting. ”How do you do it, Taylor?” she managed to squeak out after reining her word vomit. She shifted her weight, anxiously. Hopefully he’d be able to talk some sense into her. She was overreacting, but at the moment her concerns were very much valid. At least in her mind anyway.

Taylor Heavens
PM
^
Taylor Heavens
 Posted: Apr 23 2018, 08:43 PM

Age // 22

Posts // 28

Merit // Low

Alias // Emilie

Occupation // Seasonal labrorer

Partner // Brooklyn Pappas

Mini Quote

Why should I worry? Why should I care? I may not have a dime but I got street savoire fair.

PHX + She/her

Taylor offered his signature slow smile, shaking his head. "You know I never mind, Ry." They were family, and being there for you when you needed them was what family was for. He wasn't the most, like, wise and sensible of them, but he could do his best to help, which he definitely would. Ryan was his sister and he loved her. "Whoa, slow down there a little," he said with a light laugh. Taylor was arguably the most laidback out of all the siblings, so him telling Ryan to calm down, relax, chill out a little bit, was absolutely normal. It was advice in general, honestly: slow down, stress less.

His brow furrowed in confusion when Ryan saw Benji and her expression became the human version of an error 404: page not found. His confusion only deepened when she grabbed his sleeve, looking like she'd just been told that she had three weeks left to live.

A stepmother?

Oh. Well.

Taylor could understand how that could be a bit... daunting. He pulled her into another hug, then released her and led her gently to sit at the table. He put his hands on her shoulders, trying to be as much of a wise older brother as he could be. It wasn't that much, granted, but he was trying his best, and that should count for something. "First of all, she's probably not gonna hate you. You're awesome, and you know all about, like, clothes and stuff. Little girls love playing dress-up." He assumed. Being the voice of reason was not something Taylor was accustomed to; he wasn't sure he liked it, to be honest. It was too much responsibility. "And you're not gonna be responsible for his kid all by yourself. He's still there, too. And besides, you have me and Stuart and Evan and Alex to help you." Probably Lindsay and Jasper, too, but they were both teenagers, and responsible wasn't necessarily something that ran in their family.

"You're not crazy, but I think you're probably worrying more than you need to." He put some paper in front of her. "Fingerpaints will help. You can't be stressed when you're fingerpainting." He sat down at his previous spot at the table. "Him being way older is a little weird, but if he's creepy or anything, you can always come stay with one of us. I think Evan misses having a full house, honestly."

Ryan Heavens
PM EMAIL
^
Miss Fortune
 Posted: May 4 2018, 10:29 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 2125

Posts // 74

Merit // Excellent

Alias //

Occupation //

Partner // Glory

Mini Quote

Fortune favors the bold!

+

Oh no!
Miss Fortune had her eye on you!

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Miss Fortune frowns on you!

Small children require supervision, and Benjamin is no exception. He’s fully on his way to becoming the next great artist of Ridgeway, immersed in his finger-painting and covered in it too. The little containers of paint are next to him, and his small hands are constantly dipping in and out of them, mixing colors like a little professional.

But oh no – What is this? As his fingers dip into the blue paint, they hit something hard. Earlier when pouring the paints, one of the lids went missing. It’s now caught between Benjamin’s little fingers, clutched tightly for a moment. And then, for reasons unknown to adult and level-headed people, he stuffs it in his mouth while Taylor and Ryan are having their very adult conversation.

Now – The paint is non-toxic, good job Taylor. He coughs and spits a little bit because of the taste and makes a face, but it’s not more than a few moments before his coughing takes on more force. He starts to have trouble breathing, wheezing a little in the process as he clutches at his throat with frustration and fear written on his face.

It’s stuck in his throat.

Oh no! Talk about bad luck.

Taylor Heavens
Ryan Heavens
PM EMAIL
^
Ryan Heavens
 Posted: May 9 2018, 03:26 PM

Age // 20

Posts // 17

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Des

Partner // Jack Wright

Mini Quote

EST + she/her

For the countless times in her life, when things seemed to go wrong in her own mind. For when she got a bit too worked up and overdramatic. She had always been thoroughly grateful for her family. Taylor, specifically, had the easy, lackadaisical charm that she truly admired. He took everything in stride, a feat she sometimes appreciated, but also irritated her, not that she would ever voice that. Truthfully, she was thinking a bit too far into the situation. An age gap was clearly not the end of the world. Julio seemed perfectly nice and gave her space, so he wasn’t a creep as she had, unfortunately, considered at one time. He was a kind man with a daughter he obviously adored, she felt a wave of sheepishness wash over her as she returned his hug.

She smiled as her brother’s reassurance. The notion of having a little girl to play dress up, make believe, and enthuse about fashion with was rather nice. Though if she wasn’t too into fashion, that was fine too. She wasn’t exactly maternal, but she enjoyed being around kids. Granted her first impression on Taylor’s son would have lead them to believe the opposite. She allowed Taylor to guide her to the table, carefully sitting and observing the many works of art the child had done so far. She felt a twitch of shame when he mentioned she wouldn’t be responsible for her alone. She would have a husband, it wasn’t like the girl was on her doorstep with no family. Not that that was a bad thing either. Chewing on her lower lip out of nervous habit, Ryan simply nodded as she toyed with a small canister of blue paint.

”I suppose I am thinking about this too much. You’re right, Tay. I won’t be by myself in this. Julio, from the times we spoke, sounds like a genuinely nice guy. I guess I was just in shock as I wasn’t expecting my first match to come with a child right off. But I do have all of you to turn to. I’m sorry for showing up out of the blue and just unloading all of this on you. I’m really grateful to you, Evan, Alex, Stuart, everyone, honestly. I guess I just bottled this up too much over the passed few days.

Ryan rambled, sincerely. She loved her family, though they had gone off and started their lives, they were never too far from her. She missed them and would plan on visiting once her partnership is settled. She giggled at Taylor’s comment about the finger paints. It had always been something she enjoyed growing up. She didn’t have the painter’s gene like Evan, but her passion was more toward fashion. Which was an art in it’s own way, even if she wasn’t the one creating it. She had moved to open the blue paint she was holding, when the sound of coughing caught her attention. She immediately looked to Benjamin, who was clutching his throat in panic. Acting on impulse, she immediately stood up from the table and moved to Benjamin’s side.

”Oh no, hold still I’m gonna help you.” she spoke in what she hoped was a calm, reassuring voice. She carefully placed her fist against his stomach and wrapped the other arm around him, thrusting her fist inward at an upward angle, hoping to dislodge the object. She tried to stay calm, hoping she didn’t seem too traumatized by the turn of events. The last thing she wanted was the scare the little boy even more. With a few more pulls, Benjamin coughed and the small lid of the pain canister was expelled from his throat. Ryan let outs sigh of relief and hugged the boy, glad that he was okay. She frowned and lightly rubbed his back.

”There now, everything’s fine now. Let’s not put anything that isn’t food in our mouths, okay?”
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC

Our Button

test

Resource Sites:

Candyland CoutureShadowplayRockin Roleplay

AFFILIATES

HG

test