Science Is King

Science dictates lives: what you do, where you live, who you marry. It takes care of you, covers your bills, keeps you healthy, and all it asks in return is that you participate in a few experiments. Ridgeway has always been a control group, left mostly alone, but the Department of Science has been moving in, and everything is about to change.

Single
01 M
01 F
Teenagers
05 M
05 F
Partnered
44 M
45 F
Excellent
07 M
14 F
High
20 M
17 F
Neutral
15 M
15 F
Low
05 M
03 F
Poor
01 M
01 F

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) REPLY NEW TOPIC

chances are, ms. heavens & mr. casey
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 07:05 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Occupation // Elementary School Art Teacher

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

One foot on the narrow way and one foot on the ledge. Sifting through the devil’s lies from what the good book says. If I’m goin’ any where I’ll probably go too far. Probably away from you, chances are.

EST + She/Her

Everything had changed.

She had felt it. It’d been like a great exhale, a breath she’d been keeping in her lungs that had finally escaped, relieving the weight on her chest. When their eyes had met, following the question she’d never forget, she had seen it, the change, the sign, the release. It was freeing. All because a five-year-old blonde thought to ask: Why are you guys being weird?

Because they were being weird when Evan, Mel, and the two youngest Heavens children had gathered in front of the television to watch a movie.

Evan would have usually cuddled up beside Melvin, rested her head on his shoulder. His arm would have curled around her, hand falling in place just above her elbow. Eventually, his fingers would start to tap, or restlessly draw mindless circles on the fabric of her shirt. She’d whisper something to him, getting him to smile and he’d attempt to stifle a chuckle too, or else they’d get dirty looks from the youngsters that were trying to watch a movie. It was possible to receive the most adorable eye roll as well, the bouncy pigtails of the littlest Heavens swishing with the action. Sometimes, Evan would even pull the Sharpie from her pocket and bring Mel’s arm closer to doodle upon whatever bare skin she could expose. Rarely did she ever watch the whole movie, always getting lost in their hushed conversations or her intense concentration on an inky masterpiece. Without fail, she always included an infinity symbol on his wrist where if you pressed hard enough, you’d feel a pulse.

But that night, there had been space between them, his arm draped over the couch instead. Her legs tucked the opposite way with Evan leaning into the armrest and not into his shoulder, his chest, which housed his heart.

Why were they being weird? Because feelings were weird. But Evan had promised herself on their wedding day that she’d fix it. She’d mend the brokenness between them. She’d create a colorful mosaic of shattered glass and turn the ugly, the awkward into something beautiful. She’d failed.

Instead, they’d spent months in limbo, in the grey of uncertainty with only pops of color littered throughout. There were always going to be moments, moments when they forgot that they were married, and they found their old selves, the ones that allowed them to share a laugh, a brief touch without second guessing if they should. The warmth of his presence, the cheekiness of his grin, the crinkling of his eyes were all things she missed but she never got to hold on to them for long, each instance like a grain of sand slipping through her fingers.

But Noah sparked Evan’s earlier promise with her inquisitive and insightful words. She wasn’t going to continue traveling down the road that lead to a lonely existence. She was going to take the road not yet taken.

That brought her to today, on her way home from the pharmacy after a text exchange between her and Mel. A small smile had found its way onto her features as she recalled the written messages, the conversation hidden behind the guise of pet rocks. He’d flirted with her, or at least she thought he had. There had been a brief moment when doubts had begun to fester, her mind having concocted an alternative. Maybe he really did love rocks and was being completely serious about wanting one as a pet.

But by the time she arrived in the driveway of their home, she’d convinced herself of the former. Mel wasn’t home yet, his truck nowhere in sight but he’d probably be arriving shortly. She didn’t fret about it, though she was concerned about the side effects from the so-called vitamins he’d been taking by government order. It didn’t sit well in her stomach, but they had a plan on their next course of action. She hoped he’d feel better soon.

Piling her students’ decorative hearts into her arms, her bag looped over her shoulder, which also contained the new prescription, she strolled through the front door after swiping her wrist over the pad. ”Hey Melanie,” she said, continuing through the home into the kitchen.

Hey Evan! Guess what? Guess what?

”What?” she asked, setting the art down on the island before sliding her bag off her shoulder.

You’re supposed to guess!

Evan could hear the pout in the AI’s tone, causing her to lightly sigh and roll her eyes. ”Hmmm. Let’s see. You found the best grilled cheese recipe in the entire world and I have to try it?” It was no secret how much of a grilled cheese connoisseur she’d become.

No! The AI giggled. Melvin’s home!

”He is?” Evan turned around, padding back into the living room in sight of the front door, and sure enough, there he was, standing in the doorway.

Told you!

Attire // Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 10:59 AM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Occupation // Park Ranger

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while, But my God it's so beautiful when the boy smiles, Wanna hold him, maybe I'll just sing about it.

EST + She/her

Melvin Casey lived inside his head for most of his childhood. Why wouldn’t he? It was safe there when his mother and father were arguing. It was more interesting there when someone forgot to make dinner. As he got older it was easier to live there. In his own mind people followed the specific script he created for them. Things always went the way he had planned. He never had to feel unsure or question anything. Living inside your midway easy.

Real life never went that way. People never followed the script or acted like they were supposed to. Sometimes he was the screw up, forgetting his lines or stumbling over his words. He never stumbled over his words in his mind. He was shiny and bright and cool in his mind. It’s why he stayed there, still, too often in his adult life.

Evan was mostly the exception to the rule. It was as though she was a part of the same play. She knew her lines. She knew the importance of even just a look. She was the best actress in the whole damn show. He never could hope to live up to her level of skill but he was content to be in the back ground.

But then the notice came along and pushed him to the forefront. No longer would he be allowed to only be a minor character. And he had retreated to his mind because he’d had no where else to go that month before the wedding. He had plotted and planned and decided how things would go. But on their wedding day everything had fallen apart. He’d gotten weird. Retreated too far in his mind because the story there was better than the one in the real world. The one where he and Evan slept in the same bed but didn’t touch. Where they prattled endlessly about the actual literal weather but not about what they were going to do now.

Where even a five year old could tell they were being weird.

He remembered when Noah was born. All red faced and solemn looking even as an infant. He knew she would be something special. With the wisdom of someone much older she’d made him realize he couldn’t continue to float through his marriage.

He’d welcomed Evan back into her rightful spot on the couch, in his arms and it had felt right. Like all this time he’s been living without a vital organ and someone had finally returned it.

That day, Mel was stuck in a mandatory meeting, something he fully expected to run much longer than necessary which is why he’d reached out to rely on Evan. Normally he wouldn’t have bothered her with such trivial things , especially after the particularly blunt letter the government had issued to him regarding their sex life. He wasn’t sure if the vitamins were supposed to help with that but they did promise to help with the other troubling side affects so that was a plus in his books. Feeling sluggish was something he attributed to his normal personality but if taking a few pills daily would help him with it he was all for it.

He tried to hide his smile as he texted his wife, phone hidden under his desk. The head ranger prattled on about conservation-something that was super important, of course but imagining the smile on his wife was distracting. He was feeling giddy. They were ok.

Mel blinked in surprise when his coworkers suddenly began to rustle papers and stand. Just like that, the meeting was over. As he hurried out his foot crunched under the gravel that was laid out as a path. His eyes landed on one, smooth and oblong, a light grey with darker grey spots. He swooped, placing it in his pocket before continuing his journey home.

“Man, I really wish it was the grilled cheese thing.” he smiled, as her surprise gaze noticed him and with a light chuckle he entered, setting his bag down by the door “They let us out early” he said by way of explanation.

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:29 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

One foot on the narrow way and one foot on the ledge. Sifting through the devil’s lies from what the good book says. If I’m goin’ any where I’ll probably go too far. Probably away from you, chances are.

EST + She/Her

Her slightly parted mouth closed, curving into a warm smile as her previously widened eyes softened too. She knew it was silly, ridiculous, the way her heart always, without fail, seemed to skip a beat at the sight of him. After they were married it would have been the catalyst for the thrumming in her chest to become erratic or rapid, nerves settling in so deeply and stubbornly that it was hard to bid them goodbye. But today her heart resumed its normal rhythm, a real reminder that things had changed, and it was for the better.

“We can still make that happen,” Evan said, retreating into the kitchen, figuring Melvin would follow. “Melanie, you got that? Look up the best grilled cheese recipe in the world.” If it didn’t have at least three cheeses in it, the recipe was a lie but mostly, she was curious what the internet had to say on the topic. She was also curious about Mel’s unexpected premature arrival.

”Why did they let you out early?” she asked, attention mostly trained on gathering the ingredients she’d need for grilled cheese but still able to listen. Evan had learned the art of multi-tasking long ago when she’d first started to be the unofficial head of her childhood household. ”Did they see the look on all your bored, grim faces and decide it wasn’t worth cooping you all up inside behind a table when you’re rangers, men of the wild?”

She smirked over her shoulder at Mel, who had by that time joined her in the kitchen. ”Oh, and your prescription’s in my bag. But before you take anything, I really do want to take a look at the letter. Is it in here?” Evan pointed to the drawer that usually housed any kind of mail, paperwork, reminders that she shuffled through on the weekends and moved towards it.

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:50 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while, But my God it's so beautiful when the boy smiles, Wanna hold him, maybe I'll just sing about it.

EST + She/her

"Sounds like a plan to me." he chirped happily, shutting the door behind him. He hung up his hat and jacket as he went, stretching the muscles that had grown taunt on his ride home.

How had he grown so lucky as to have his best friend as a wife? It made everything he'd experienced worth it. He had to survive a crappy childhood to fully appreciate the goodness he was granted now. Her beauty was effortless, he marveled, always had been. But perhaps he was biased.

He did follow her, a ready grin spreading across his features. His chin hair had grown back and he rubbed it thoughtfully. "I wish it was that. But the grim faces have never worked before. Trust me, I do grim face like no other. " he demonstrated, pulling his face into an overly dramatic frown as he sat. "I think it had more to do with me demanding them letting me go so i could find the perfect rock for you."

At the mention of his pills he reached into the bags she indicated but froze, hand motionless in the bag as she asked for the paperwork. She'd remembered. And had he, out of force of habit returned the letter to the 'important mail drawer'? With a sinking heart he realized he did.

He could see it distinctly now, because he'd been standing by the drawer when he'd opened the letter. He'd scoffed and tossed it. Right. In. The. Drawer.

"Wait!" he yelped jumping from his chair."No...it's um...not there..upstairs...upstairs." he jerkily pointed to the ceiling, in case she'd forgotten where upstairs was.

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 09:25 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

EST + She/Her

She rolled her eyes at his demonstrating his so very grim face that she’d witnessed him making countless times over the years. He wasn’t a stranger to her real one, the way her lips fell into a muted frown, and her blue eyes echoed a deep sadness, the kind you only saw on the downtrodden and wounded.

The expression she wore now was one of amusement, her barely contained smile blossoming into more of a grin at the mention of the perfect rock. Yes, the rocks who had a special connection with Mel and had passed on some messages, some information that she’d been so oblivious to because recognizing it would have been too much, too entirely… “And did you manage to find one? The perfect rock?”

Her brows momentarily furrowed, pausing her travel to the drawer when Mel suddenly was jumping up from his chair like he’d just been hit with a hot poker in his behind. “Upstairs?” she inquired quizzically, resuming in shortening her distance to the drawer. Why was he lying? The pointing, the panic in his voice all suggested that he had something to hide.

There was only one reason why he was acting suspiciously. She’d been right. Her intuition earlier had burned bright, suspecting that something was amiss as they’d texted about the government mandated vitamins. He’d promised that it wasn’t anything serious. His reaction said otherwise.

She had to read that letter.

Evan made a mad dash to the drawer, opening it quickly and taking the small pile out into her hands. She began to flick through the still sealed envelopes, the thrice folded pieces of paper, letting them float to the floor like a flurry of heavy feathers. Her sight zeroed in on the typed print, scanning for his name at the top and not paying attention to anything else occurring around her until it was right there, before her eyes. Melvin B. Casey…

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Feb 27 2018, 05:31 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

EST + She/her

A playful pout. His over dramatized grimace was supposed to make her laugh, or at the very least smile, one that would reach her eyes, make them crinkle just slightly in the corner. He had been robbed of seeing her actual smiles during their earlier texting, he wanted to make up for it now.

He got his wish a few seconds later, the magical words being 'the rock' . "Yeah, I did..." he began. Or rather, he hoped he had found the perfect rock. He would have much more preferred that they had stumbled upon one together. Made the mutual decision that the rock they were looking was indeed the perfect rock, surpassing all other rocks. Instead, he had simply snatched up the first fairly clean rock he saw. He was doubtful of it's perfect nature now.

Mel started to reach into the bulky jacket he wore for work when Evan had made her move towards the hallway desk and so had to quickly forget the rock.

Now he was standing in front of her as she methodically picked through the mail. Should he simply snatch the pile and run? Slap them from her hands? Set fire to the house? Too extreme. He gritted his teeth nervously, hoping that he hadn't been on autopilot that perhaps he'd hidden the letter in their bedroom.

The papers stopped failing to the floor she began to read. "Ev,....Evan No" he pleaded reaching for the letter. She jerked back, holding the letter posseivley. "It's not...what you...Evan...give it here!" he called, frustrated as his attempts got more physical as she retreated and he pursued. "Evan get back here...."

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Feb 28 2018, 07:07 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

EST + She/Her

The rock was always going to be perfect. It didn’t matter if they went out on an adventure and found it together, stuffing it into a pocket as a memento of their journey or if it’d simply been a smooth, speckled rock that happened to catch his eye on his way back to his truck. It was perfect because regardless of how it became theirs, it’d still be a symbol of their relationship, another step down the road previously untaken.

Evan would have loved to have seen it, to marvel at the beautiful stone and take turns throwing out possible names for the newest member of the family, but the letter held her attention presently. There was no derailing the runaway train of her single-minded mission.

It was why his pleas fell on deaf ears, Evan turning away from him, and rounding her shoulders protectively. She held the letter close, but not so close as to prevent her intense blue eyes from scanning the next line of text detailing a list of symptoms: dry mouth, heat flashes, palpitations, and tingling in your extremities.

She felt her stomach churn, the seed of worry that had begun from their text conversation now re-sprouting. Before he took the vitamins, he hadn’t been inconvenienced by any of those uncomfortable occurrences. It was wrong. It was as clear as a cloudless sky, as obvious as the source of warmth on a sunny day. Whatever they had given him wasn’t vitamins.

His attempts to snatch the letter intensified, mirroring her increase in nausea as her mind began to imagine what they were doing to Mel. Was it a disease? A trial to see who couldn't fight it off naturally, and who was immune? Maybe it was an experimental drug. Was he reacting badly to it? Why did they choose him? What was going on?

After a particularly close call, his hand nearly succeeding in releasing the letter from her grasp, Evan bolted into the living room, using the couch to separate him from her so she could continue to read.

Accept our sincerest apologies. But were they really sorry? To rectify this, we have switched you to a different vitamin compound. But the question remained, were they even vitamins?

She felt paranoid, unreasonable, like some sort of conspiracy theorist. Was she losing her mind? The government had never given anyone in the town reason to doubt them, a reason to question their decisions. They had their citizens best interest at heart. So why was her heart pounding so violently in her chest? Why was she letting herself become so encompassed by the horrible possibilities?

Because she didn't want to lose him.

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 06:19 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

EST + She/her

The first half of the letter was fine. The first half of the letter didn't cause him concern. It should have. The symptoms he had been experiencing since taking the government appointed vitamins should have rose red flags with him. They didn't. He had noticed them, reflected on them briefly and had continued with his prescription. He knew there were instances where things got worse before they got better. Maybe he liked them. Maybe he liked feeling at least something other than regret this first few months of his partnership.

Regardless of why he didn't mention anything, there was a clear reason why he couldn't let Evan finish the letter. He had been honest in his assessment but the questions didn't allow much wriggle. room. They hadn't been...intimate. But it wasn't because there was a problem with either one of their equipment as the letter had so rudely suggested. There was no need for him to force his wife to be checked out. For her to be embarrassed. For them to have a conversation he wasn't sure either of them were ready for.

If only he had written more. Maybe they would have understood. 'No, we don't need the doctor. We just need to work out what the hell we are going to be for the rest of our lives'. He had a pretty good idea those comments wouldn't have cleared up much for the officials who got his response back.

She didn't respond to his pleas which was troubling. So engrossed in the letter it was like she didn't hear him, or didn't want to hear him. He reached out, his fingers lightly snagging the edge of the letter, but again she was too quick. He thought of tackling her, wrestling her to the ground and ripping it from her hands, but then she moved to the living room, planting the couch between them. Her eyes moved quickly, scanning the letter. He had to act quickly.

Mel placed one hand on the back of the couch for leverage. A determined grit to his face he heaved himself up and over the obstacle and grabbed Evan around the waist. He lifted, pivoted and tossed her onto the couch and then pounced before she could hop back up. "Evan...hand it over or suffer a death by tickling." He straddled her, his knees digging into the soft cushions and flexed his fingers menacingly.

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Mar 4 2018, 10:35 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

EST + She/Her

You can pick up your new prescription from the pharmacy today after 3 pm. Mel had asked her to do it, complying with the light command the government had given him, and in turn, so had she when she’d brought the pills into their home. The apparent solution to his symptoms still rested in her bag, but Evan currently was spiraling, sinking deeper and deeper into a state of worry, concern, doubting the prescription was going to cure him. At that moment, she was convinced all it would do was cause more harm, more pain and she didn’t know if she felt comfortable allowing him to take that risk, to put the drugs into his body and hope for the best. He promised he’d be around for a long time but what if these pills took him from her too soon?

She was extremely engrossed in the piece of paper she held so tightly in her hands, the edges curling in her grasp and soaking up the small amount of sweat from her fingertips and palms to notice Mel’s advancement, to hear the creak of the couch as he barrelled over it to reach her. The order has been sent over electronically. Her eyes were wide, taking in each and every word with a hyper-focus, heart wildly beating during the last remaining moments before his arm wrapped around her. One additional area…

She screeched as her feet left the ground, her gaze whipping to Mel instead of remaining on the letter before she was suddenly flying through the air, landing with a soft thump on the couch. He didn’t give her a chance to think of an escape plan, immediately hovering over her intimidatingly and pinning her in place.

Evan blinked a couple times, reorienting herself as she listened to his voice, which sounded thin, almost like they were underwater. If nothing else, his fingers were the best clue to his intentions. Give him the letter or be at the mercy of his tickling power. “I’ll never give it up!” she shouted, stuffing the letter down her shirt, and tucking it into her bra for safe keeping. Minutes earlier she’d been sucked into a panic vortex with no way out and now, now she was on the receiving end of a tickle threat, snapping her from her worry almost instantly. Mel was an excellent distraction.

“Do your worst, Mr. Casey.”

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Mar 7 2018, 05:39 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

EST + She/her

His fingers stopped wriggling, momentarily frozen above her and still slightly bent at odd angles. He hadn't expected that. He gaped at her, both amused and infuriated at her clever ploy. The letter, down her shirt, in the safe confines of her bra. How would he reach it? The obvious answer was obvious. He could hold her down, reach in and snag it easily. it would involve him potentially probably touching intimate parts of her. He swallowed hard, contemplating his choices. It wasn't as though he wasn't familiar with touching her. There had been the time when they were in school and a wrestling match went awry and he'd skimmed the front of her shirt. A time after that when he'd accidentally bumped into her. And wasn't it fairly recently that'd awoken one morning with his arms around her, protectively covering her front? There had been several instance. Not that he was keeping track or anything.

But they were all accidents. Unfortunate hand to breast interactions that he hadn't controlled. Never intentionally. Never with her looking, right at him, blue eyes almost daring him. Daring him to do his worst.

And what was his worst?

There was another thought. That as long as the letter was in her shirt, nestled in her bra she couldn't read it. And that had been is initial plan form the start; to simply stop her from reading it.

He couldn't sit on her forever. Eventually he would need to let her up. And then she would have it on her person. Literally.

He could do this. He was a grown man.

Mel reached down with his left hand and quickly pinned her arms above her head. She was wearing a plaid button up, the first few buttons casually free allowing her enough space to get her hands in. He nibbled the sensitive skin inside his cheek, he inhaled deeply. He reached.

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Mar 7 2018, 07:08 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

EST + She/Her

The night they’d decided to share the same bed had been as awkward as they come, each of them attempting to leave the decision up to the other until Evan eventually cracked and told him to stay. In their month apart, she’d missed their closeness, her ability to wrap her arms around him, his around her without worrying about what it could mean or what he was thinking. They’d bridged that gap, settling into how things used to be, but that still didn’t prepare her for today.

She could feel the heat of his legs warming her own as he straddled her on the couch, her own dare hot off her tongue. Evan truly wanted him to do his worst, her heart drumming out of excitement instead of just nervousness or alternatively, an overactive imagination. She wore a smirk, her momentary newfound confidence showing plainly and egging him on further, prepared for her ticklish punishment.

But she should have resisted. She should have squirmed, put up some kind of fight against the hand that pinned her arms in place above her head, leaving her chest open to being plundered, but she hadn’t. She’d believed that his other hand intended to show no mercy, to leave her in stitches and near tickle death. Maybe he’d forget all about the letter, too intent on making her howl with laughter to remember she possessed the paper he’d originally been after. Apparently, he wasn’t so easily distracted.

Her eyes followed the path of the deceitful hand, nowhere near the location of her sides, the prime tickling spot, and Evan knew at that moment what he was aiming to achieve. As his fingers dipped beneath the plaid fabric of her shirt, she made a split-second decision, one she hoped he’d forgive her for after. Engaging her abs, she lifted herself as far as his restraint on her would allow, enough so that his face was mere inches from hers. Déjà vu lightly brushed against the back of her mind, recalling their wedding day and how she'd been able to see the intricacies of his blue eyes, feel her exhales rebounding back onto her cheek just as she did now. But she'd thumped back to the concrete then, her bravery flickering like a dying light. Today, with a determination to get what she wanted, Evan darted that extra bit forward, pressing her lips against his in a chaste kiss.

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 04:58 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

EST + She/her

There were times when the familiarity between the two was more hinderance than an advantage. Evan had seen him through his awkward teen years. Had survived the horrible hair days and disastrous dances, other relationships. They had seen each other through some of their best and worst moments...when Alyssa was gone they'd sit, simply listening to each other breath. When Evan lost another mother he was there helping her with the kids. They knew each other, through and through but too often her presence made him revert back to that awkward teenager, the one who was just beginning to crack the surface of Evan Heavens.

Mel could have just tickled her. It was what he had threatened. It was something familiar. They knew how to handle a tickle war. It would bring them one step closer to being their normal selves. The friends. But he deviated. Called a bluff she hadn't even intended to offer.

There was a chance he would chicken out before a hand even brushed her cleavage. As it were, he could feel a slight tremble as he reached out, warning bells in his brain going off rapidly.

Do your worst, Mr. Casey

The words echoed in his head. Some latent side effects from his vitamins?

He wanted to. To do his worst. Or some version of it but Evan was also good at distraction. He froze, like a deer when he should have pushed her back to the couch. Some part of him rallied, she was trying to get away but her upper half, rising...hovering just inches from him made it hard for him to remember why that was important.

The Melvin Casey who was not prepared to do his worse would have jumped back, startled by the closeness. But this Mel...

...he inhaled as her lips met his, his eyes fluttering closed at the touch. He didn't move for a few seconds, still frozen but this time he let his others senses activate. The feel of her lips, the stillness of the room.

He wanted to remember it forever.

The seconds of suspended movement passed.

His lips puckered, pressed into hers. The fingers that had been inching forward to her chest, went around her waist instead, helping her to stay upright.

Do your worst, Mr. Casey....

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Evan Heavens
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 05:02 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 27

Posts // 78

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Lady

Partner // Melvin Casey

Mini Quote

EST + She/Her

A distraction, that’s all it had been. Something to catch him off guard, something to cause him to pull away, loosen his hold on her. Evan only had plans of escape, of a way to retreat and hide, read the letter behind the safety of a locked door with Melvin trapped on the other side. The kiss was a tactic, an end to a means during a brief moment of hubris until it wasn’t.

He sucked in his breath, stealing hers, and Evan felt herself freefalling over the precipice that she’d been teetering on the edge of for years. His forgiveness was the furthest from her mind now. She didn’t need it, not when his hand snaked around her waist, his touch sending sparks along her skin, awakening her senses as he drew her closer.

For once, she didn’t allow her mind to begin its frenzy descent into self-doubt. She wasn’t coiling up tightly, thinking about how a kiss had the power to unravel everything they’d managed to rebuild, how a seemingly innocent distraction could be a mode of destruction, the carefully laden bricks easily tumbled. Evan leaned into the embrace, her body reacting on autopilot by wiggling one of her arms free to cup his cheek, thumb caressing the scruff.

If it hadn’t been for the crunch of the letter, making her momentarily pause and disentangle their joined mouths, she didn’t know how far down the untraveled path her body would have gone. Her mind hadn’t caught up to what had happened, still in a state of heavy fuzziness as she licked her lips, but it was fully aware of the taste of him, of the lack of distance between them. “You,” she said, a bit breathless. “You kissed me.”

Melvin Casey
PM
^
Melvin Casey
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 05:48 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 28

Posts // 83

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Cee

Partner // Evan Heavens

Mini Quote

EST + She/her

It had been a distraction. A very good one because in those few seconds his mind wasn't on the letter or what it entailed. How it would make her feel. How it would make him feel to have her know that their marital issues were known by several faceless men and women in white coats. He was thinking only of how he had wanted to do this for so long. Do it earnestly and not fumbled or where he had to pretend it was an accident or result of a drunken mistake. He had wanted to be that prince on a horse for her, gathering her up from her life of stress and worry, becoming a beacon of strength. So he had tried not to cause more stress for her. To only be what she needed and nothing more even if it pained him. He was her friend, because she needed a friend. Someone that would give and require nothing in return.

Melvin wasn't sure what she needed now. Signals were being mixed, lines were being blurred. It was probably a mistake to kiss back, to draw her closer to him when he knew she had only kissed him to make him do the opposite. Mel had taken the bait, had called the bluff, had done something he wanted to.

It felt good.

It felt great. It felt blissful. It felt right even if it meant that things would change again. That maybe they would be strangers again as they searched and wondered and worried about what the kiss meant. It was a distraction. Sure. But he couldn't deny how the hair on his skin rose at her touch.

His eyes opened at her softs words, she hadn't pulled away, not really but she had broken the kiss, the spell effectively lifted. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words on her part. He knew what she meant to say-he had kissed her back had interrupted the unspoken rues of their little game and had overstepped. He hadn't acted like himself. But it's not what she said. He placed a hand over hers, the one that cupped his cheek. Rubbed his lips together "You kissed me first."

Evan Heavens
PM
^
Dawn
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 05:54 PM

Advanced Member

Age // 22.

Posts // 101

Merit // Neutral

Alias // Dawn.

Occupation // Bringing joy to all

Partner // Windjester

Mini Quote

Denmark (also called "Norway") is best known as the original home of the prune Danish as well as the Vikings, who wore hats with horns sticking out of them, and for a very good reason: they were insane.

+ She/Her.

PM EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONSPages: (2) 1 2  REPLY NEW TOPIC

Our Button

test

Resource Sites:

Candyland CoutureShadowplayRockin Roleplay

AFFILIATES

HG

test test